Minister Neale Richmond, Minister of State for Business, Employment and Retail, announced on 29th December that with immediate effect inspectors from the Workplace Relations Commission (WRC) have the power to impose on-the-spot fines where they find breaches of the Payment of Wages (Amendment) (Tips and Gratuities) Act 2022 during an inspection.
At HR Duo, we understand that staying compliant with evolving legislation is crucial for your business. Let's delve into these changes and explore how HR Duo can assist you in maintaining compliance, effortlessly.
The Power of WRC Inspectors
Inspectors can now impose fines during inspections for the following breaches:
- Employers who do not provide employees with their terms of employment (contracts of employment) or provide false information will receive a fine of €1,500.
- Employers who do not provide employees with a written statement on the distribution of tips or gratuities, or fail to treat a service charge as a tip, will be subject to a fine of €750.
- Employers who do not display a ‘tips and gratuities notice’ for employees and/or contractors will be subject to a fine of €500.
Tips and Gratuities
Tips and Gratuities are voluntary payments made by customers that they assume will be kept by the worker or shared with other workers. Service Charges are mandatory charges that customers have to pay, in addition to the cost of certain goods or services.
A Tips and Gratuities Policy/Notice should set out the following:
- Whether or not tips or gratuities are distributed to and amongst the employees including electronic tips.
- How they are distributed and the amounts distributed.
- If mandatory charges are applied, the amount distributed, and how they are distributed.
Why Compliance Matters
Ensuring compliance is more than just avoiding fines – it's about creating a fair and transparent workplace. Non-compliance can tarnish your company's reputation and lead to disengagement among your workforce.
Find out how HR Duo was built to support businesses to help them stay compliant:
- Policy Generation
HR Duo simplifies policy creation. Ensuring you have comprehensive Tips and Gratuities Policies in place, easily accessible by your workforce with our user-friendly interface.
- Notification Systems
Stay ahead with our notification system. HR Duo keeps you informed about legislative changes, so you can proactively update your policies and communicate effectively with your employees.
- Document Management
Safeguard compliance-related documents using HR Duo's secure storage. Access them instantly and keep your business audit-ready.
- Instant Messaging and Mobile App
Communicate changes seamlessly with our mobile app. Ensure your employees are well-informed about tips and gratuities, promoting a harmonious work environment.
- Customisable HR Letters
Quickly generate and send compliant HR letters to employees directly from the HR Duo platform, addressing any concerns related to issues or policy breaches such as tips and gratuities.
- Expert HR Support
Leverage our expert HR employee relations or consultancy services for personalised guidance on navigating complex employment issues.
HR Duo acts as your in-house HR Department, offering a blend of technological sophistication and expert HR knowledge. We understand that compliance is not a one-time task but an ongoing commitment.
Take charge of your compliance journey with HR Duo, and ensure your business remains resilient, efficient, and compliant. No jargon, just smart solutions. Request a free demo now.